Cooley's Intellectual Property Litigation group excels at delivering winning legal strategies in high-stakes intellectual property disputes, including patent, copyright, trademark, false advertising, licensing, false marking and trade secret matters. Our Asian clients, including ASUSTeK, Chimei-Innolux, HTC, and Nintendo, all benefit from our unique, business-focused approach to developing litigation strategies tailored to each client's definition of success. We invest the time and resources to develop a value-driven relationship with our clients that produces better results, reduces costs, drives increased productivity, and improves the quality of legal services provided.
Private and public Asian companies with some of the most sophisticated intellectual property portfolios in the world turn to the firm's attorneys to defend or prosecute their most significant IP cases in U.S. courts. Cooley's lawyers understand our clients' businesses and the critical role that IP plays in a highly competitive international landscape. It is this business sense, combined with our ability to handle the complicated technical issues that are often intertwined with IP disputes, that separates Cooley from our competitors. Additionally, through our representations of both plaintiffs and defendants, we have an expertise in remedies and damages that better positions our Asian clients to achieve the best possible outcomes.
As our recent casework for Asian companies demonstrates, our attorneys have extensive knowledge of the U.S. legal issues affecting global companies, as well as significant experience representing international companies with well-developed, strategic intellectual property portfolios. They also have relevant, recent experience in virtually every significant intellectual property litigation venue in the U.S., including substantial experience in key U.S. IP courts such as the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California; the Eastern District of Texas; the District of Delaware; the Eastern District of Virginia; the Southern District of New York; and before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
In addition to U.S. federal court litigation, we represent clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings, patent interference and re-examination proceedings, and patent and trademark portfolio development. We also represent our intellectual property clients in other matters, such as copyright, trade dress, rights of publicity, domain names, and false advertising—often in the context of products and services delivered online, where many issues remain unsettled.
Our Intellectual Property Litigation practice has been recognized as one of the leading IP groups by several key legal publications and organizations. Highlights from the past year include:
- Recognized as "Top Trademark Contentious" firm in the U.S. by Managing Intellectual Property
- Ranked in top 10 among AmLaw 100 firms for top trademark filers
- Ranked 9th overall for total number of U.S. federal patent case representations (49) , and 10th for total number of patent defense cases (37) in the 2011 edition of Corporate Counsel's Patent Litigation Survey
- Practice was recognized as one of the top IP Litigation practices in the U.S. by Chambers USA and Legal 500
- BTI Consulting Survey named Cooley as "firm attorneys would least like to face in litigation"
- A partner was named one of the "10 Most Admired Intellectual Property Attorneys" by Law360
- More than 100 attorneys with expertise in intellectual property litigation in nine major business and technology centers nationwide
- 60+ litigators focused on patent litigation with extensive pre-suit investigations, claim construction, trial, and appellate experience
- 35+ patent practitioners supporting the litigation practice
- Attorneys with advanced degrees in engineering and other scientific fields
- 80+ IP attorneys with undergraduate degrees in various scientific fields, including computer science, E.E. and Mech.E.
- 50+ IP attorneys with graduate degrees in scientific fields (M.S. and Ph.D.)
- One of the largest trademark and copyright groups found in any of the AmLaw 100 law firms
- 22 lawyers, including 4 partners, 18 associates and 10 paralegals
- More than 50 "U.S.P.T.O. registered" practitioners
- Fully integrated IP prosecution, counseling and litigation practice
- Strong working relationships with a network of experienced, top-tier counsel worldwide
- Regularly partner with our Technology Transactions and Life Sciences Groups to maximize the benefits that are afforded by our clients' intellectual property