Applied Materials, Inc.
Representation of Applied Materials, Inc. in several transactions involving the sale and establishment of solar module production lines around the world
Artesian Therapeutics, Inc.
Representation of Artesian Therapeutics, Inc. in their sale to Cardiome, a Canadian public company
Representation of Aspreva Pharmaceuticals in the largest biotech initial public offering in Canadian history. Aspreva is the first Canadian company to complete an IPO concurrently in both Canada and the United States since 2001. The offering consisted of 8,280,000 common shares at $13.68 per share, resulting in gross proceeds to Aspreva of $113 million
Representation of Burlington Resources, which is now owned by ConocoPhillips, in connection with a U.S. tax dispute arising out of a U.S.-Canadian crossborder financing involving Burlington's U.S. and Canadian affiliates
Representation of Cangene Corporation, a Canadian vaccine and life sciences company, in its biodefense-related contracts with the federal government, principally the Department of Health and Human Services
Representation of Catena, a telecom equipment company in Ottawa, Ontario, as its general outside counsel—including its preferred stock financings led by Morgenthaler Ventures, Menlo Ventures and Goldman Sachs—and in its sale to Ciena in 2004
Gran Tierra Energy Inc.
Representation (securities, acquisition, tax, general corporate and cross border matters) of Gran Tierra Energy Inc., a dually listed public company (AMEX: GTE and TSX: GTE), headquartered in Calgary, Canada. Gran Tierra has a significant base of Canadian shareholders, many of whom hold Canadian exchangeable shares
New Enterprise Associates
Representation of New Enterprise Associates in Class G investment in VIXS Systems, a Canadian based semiconductor company
Orbea USA LLC
Representation of Orbea USA LLC, a bicycle manufacturer, in an exclusive distribution agreement with a Canadian distributor
Janna Systems, Inc.
Acquisition of Janna Systems, Inc., a Toronto-based provider of e-business solutions, by Siebel Systems, Inc. in a tax-free share exchange valued at approximately $1 billion
Representation of Tembec, Inc., a forest products company, in public and private financings ($1B of 144A transactions and subsequent registrations), U.S. securities matters and the acquisition of a Louisiana pulp and paper mill out of a bankruptcy proceeding
Le Groupe Vidéotron Ltée
Representation of Le Groupe Vidéotron Ltée (cable TV), and its U.S. and U.K. subsidiaries, in public and private financings, acquisitions, joint ventures, securities, licensing, litigation and bankruptcy matters in the U.S. and U.K., including the disposition of its U.K. subsidiary to Bell Canada for $600M
Additional Representative Deals
- Representation in a Research and Development Alliance Agreement with a research and technology institute based in Canada
- Representation of the creditors of a confectionery company in the sale of a well known candy business in Canada
- Representation of a Canadian exchangeable share investment in a mixed-signal fabless semiconductor company
Representative Customs and Export Deals Involving Trade
- NAFTA and other U.S. Customs issues involving U.S. and Canadian NAFTA audits, imports into Canada of U.S. origin products and imports into the U.S. of Canadian origin products
- U.S. Customs investigation of Chinese products improperly marked as being of Canadian origin
- Internal investigations involving Canadian subsidiaries of U.S. companies and shipments of U.S. origin product through Canada
- Advice regarding the conflict between U.S. and Canadian law with respect to transactions involving Cuba