Christopher Shoff is a partner in Cooley's Business department and is a member of the Firm's Emerging Companies practice group. Chris joined the Firm in 2012 and is a founding partner of its Los Angeles office. Chris serves on the Firm's Hiring Committee.
Chris focuses his practice on the representation of high growth companies in a broad range of industries, including software, digital media and entertainment, mobile, consumer Internet, clean tech, medical device, pharmaceutical and healthcare services. Chris also regularly represents venture capital and private equity firms and strategic investors in connection with investments and M&A transactions. Chris was selected as a Rising Star in 2013 and 2014 by Southern California Super Lawyers magazine.
Representative clients include:
- Coherex Medical
- DreamWorks Animation
- Marlin Equity Partners
- Oaktree Capital
- Olive Medical
- Pathway Genomics
- Vow To Be Chic
Chris has extensive experience working on venture capital financing transactions and has represented companies and investors in over 250 equity and debt financings. His core practice consists of representing companies and investors in these transactions, which have been led by some of the world's leading venture capital and private equity firms, strategic investors and angel investors. Chris currently serves as Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Southern California Law School teaching a course on venture capital.
A significant portion of Chris' practice involves the representation of selling companies and strategic and financial acquirors in M&A transactions.
Representative M&A transactions include:
- QUALCOMM Incorporated's acquisition of Wilocity (representing QUALCOMM)
- DreamWorks Animation's acquisition of AwesomenessTV (representing DreamWorks)
- ZEFR's sale of MovieClips to Fandango (representing ZEFR)
- Clarabridge's acquisition of Market Metrix (representing Clarabridge)
- AnalytX's acquisition by eFront (representing AnalytX)
- ScaleFunder's acquisition by RuffaloCODY (representing ScaleFunder)
- QUALCOMM Incorporated's acquisition of Summit Microelectronics (representing QUALCOMM)
- AWR Corporation's acquisition by National Instruments Corporation (representing AWR)
- Core Mobility's acquisition by Smith Micro Software (representing Core Mobility)
- Altiris' acquisition by Symantec Corporation (representing Altiris)
- Interest.com's acquisition by Bankrate (representing Interest.com)
- Performics' acquisition by DoubleClick (representing Performics)
- Xactware's acquisition by ISO Insurance Solutions (representing Xactware)
Chris has represented issuers and underwriters in IPOs and other public offerings of companies such as Altiris, Inc. (acquired by SYMC), Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (HALO), Myriad Genetics, Inc. (MYGN), NPS Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NPSP), Omniture, Inc. (OMTR) and Overstock.com, Inc. (OSTK).
- Harvard Law School
- Weber State University
BS Economics, 1999, summa cum laude