Cooley is an innovation partner in the e-health ecosystem—guiding entrepreneurs, companies, investors and institutions at the forefront of the development and adoption of transformative technologies that are redefining health care access and improving the quality of care, while reducing the overall costs.
The rapidly evolving e-health care sector is forging new standards for payors, providers and patients. Increased focus on improving the access and quality of care while reducing the overall costs is creating opportunities for emerging digital technologies and innovative companies. Consumers, patients and payors at all levels expect information and tools that improve the transparency of the services and cost of care and the alternatives available to them. Consumers are embracing new technologies, applications and services that empower them to make informed decisions about their health and wellness. Payors and providers are seeking technologies and business models that improve their products and service offerings to retain and attract consumers.
Recognizing that many of the emerging and innovative e-health companies transcend particular disciplines and business models, Cooley's E-Health and Health Care Information Technology Practice combines decades of experience guiding health care and life sciences companies, software, e-commerce and social media innovators, mobile service and payment providers, gaming companies, health care providers and leaders in the medical technology field.
Giving our longstanding leadership in the emerging company and life sciences sectors, we are keenly aware of the societal benefit of bringing to market innovative health care products and services. Our attorneys also recognize the myriad challenges faced by those companies and entrepreneurs in navigating the changing landscape of the health care industry. Using a cross-office, cross-discipline approach, attorneys in our Emerging Companies, Venture Capital, Life Sciences, Privacy, Technology Transactions, Intellectual Property, Health Care & Life Sciences Regulatory, Health Care Litigation and Mergers & Acquisitions practices work cooperatively in our representation of leading companies such as AwarePoint, Epocrates, PatientSafe Solutions, Proteus Biomedical and Qualcomm and Sotera Wireless. View a more complete list of clients.
We are also leaders in advising emerging telemedicine and e-health companies in regulatory matters. Attorneys in our Health Care & Life Sciences Regulatory practice advise on health care data privacy, including compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act and compliance with Federal and state fraud and abuse laws, as well as Food and Drug Administration approval or clearance and marketing and promotional compliance.
- With our guidance, our e-health clients have raised more $400 million in private, institutional and venture capital financing in the last three years.
- We served as issuer-side counsel to Epocrates in the company's recent $98.6 million IPO, and rank #2 nationally for venture-backed IPOs since 2005
- Our Health Care & Life Sciences Regulatory practice leader, Drew Gantt, serves as Editor-in-Chief and co-author of BNA's "E-Health, Privacy and Security Law" and was recently recognized as one of the top 10 outstanding health care IT lawyers by Nightingale's Healthcare News
- We are a foundational partner and Board Member of the Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance, a global trade organization for innovative wireless health companies
Our attorneys provide a comprehensive range of legal services to companies in the e-health and healthcare information sector:
- We advise on a broad range of emerging company formation and venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and corporate governance matters
- We counsel clients on strategic partnering, licensing and commercialization arrangements
- Our attorneys advise on intellectual property counseling and intellectual property litigation matters
- We are experienced in advising e-health companies on regulatory matters, HIPAA compliance and various related matters