Caribbean Property Group
Cooley represented Caribbean Property Group in its acquisition of The Ritz Carlton San Juan Hotel, Spa and Casino; the Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino; and a warehouse/distribution center portfolio consisting of over 2.25 million square feet of space located in 20 buildings in 5 planned parks in and around San Juan, Caribbean.
We represented Caribbean Property Group in the lease of over eight million square feet of retail, warehouse and office space in the Caribbean, including the negotiation of anchor leases for Marshall's, CompUSA and Best Buy.
We assisted with the largest real property transaction in Caribbean history, representing Caribbean Property Group and its financial partners Goldman Sachs-Whitehall, AIG, Fremont Realty Capital Corporation and Perry Capital Partners, in connection with the sale to Developers Diversified Realty Corporation (a NYSE Retail REIT) of 15 open-air and enclosed shopping centers and malls in the Caribbean, totaling nearly 5 million square feet, for an aggregate sales price of nearly $1.2 billion. Previously, the Firm represented Caribbean Property Group in connection with the acquisition of these properties in three separate portfolio transactions.
CPG Press Release
Cooley represented WestLB, a lead bank, in the negotiation and restructuring of $850 million of loans made by over 30 banks to AES Eletropaulo, a Brazilian electric power distributor.
U.S. Financial Institutions
Cooley's attorneys represented a number of U.S financial institutions in connection with a variety of transactions, including:
- Privatization of a mortgage bank in Argentina
- Assignment and securitization of rights to oil production in Colombia
- Structuring of a public bidding process for a concession related to the construction of a public toll road in Colombia
Cooley's attorneys have also assisted clients in a number of other transactions in Latin America, including:
- An unsolicited tender offer for shares and ADSs of a Venezuelan telecommunications company for $1.4 billion
- Several acquisitions and divestitures of power generation and distribution companies
- Representation of a global power company in a $1.2 billion debt restructuring in Brazil