Cooley has one of the leading litigation practices in the country with many seasoned trial lawyers. Our diverse litigation capabilities include the representation of lawyers and law firms when they are confronted with disputes, claims and other adversarial situations that arise in the course of managing law practices. We have advised lawyers and law firms in regard to claims and disputes ranging from malpractice, professional misconduct and fraud, to insurance matters and even criminal investigations.
We have a successful track record in defending law firms and lawyers in such cases. While the desire is to end these matters quickly and quietly, our experience in trying and winning cases positions our clients for favorable outcomes before and after trial.
Two Cases, One Purpose
Malpractice claims against firms are essentially two cases in one: the liability claim and the causal litigation or transaction. As such, a team with significant experience defending law firms and lawyers and also significant dispute and transactional experience critical to understanding the underlying case is essential.
When called upon, we work closely with our clients to define the near-term and overarching objectives of the representation and to implement a comprehensive plan to address both the substantive issues of the primary claim, as well as understand the underlying intricacies of the causal matter. The litigation and appellate experience of our 300-lawyer national litigation department means that our attorneys have a track record of ramping up quickly on cases which have been developed by other law firms.
- 300 litigation attorneys in nine major business and technology centers nationwide
- Experience in more than 80 state and federal courts, arbitral forums and administrative bodies
- Our lawyers include numerous former Assistant United States Attorneys, a former Assistant Attorney General for the United States Department of Justice, five Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and the Chairman of the Federal Court Discipline Committee
- Expertise in the area of professional malpractice insurance policies
- Track record of numerous successfully negotiated agreements with insurers covering both defense costs and settlement contributions