Over the past five years, Cooley has handled more than 600 mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions, with an aggregate value of more than $102 billion, making our practice one of the most active in the country.
We represent all categories of participants in transactions, including buyers, sellers, major stockholders, lenders, financial advisors, management, special board committees, venture capitalists, individual investors, private equity funds, hedge funds and others.
In addition to handling acquisitions of venture capital-backed corporations and other closely held entities, we regularly negotiate acquisitions involving large, publicly traded companies.
Our experience and client base of over 100 publicly held companies provides us with a current perspective on market deal points, and a unique position from which we can draw to introduce buyers and sellers.
Cooley has highly skilled transactional attorneys who focus on M&A matters. These attorneys are widely recognized as leaders and experts in their field and are frequently invited to speak on M&A trends and take leadership roles in national professional organizations.
Cooley's M&A attorneys have been honored in numerous publications that list and rank the top attorneys in the United States and the world. Accolades have come from publications such as:
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers Global Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers
- Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers
- Legal 500
- M&A Advisor – Law Firm of the Year (2004)
- Top 5 for U.S. deals completed as sell-side counsel in 2012. (Source: mergermarket.com)
- Top twenty for U.S. deals completed as buy-side counsel in 2012. (Source: mergermarket.com)
- Distressed M&A Deal of the Year Award for 2012 for our representation of Entropic Communications in its acquisition of a set top box business and diverse international patent portfolio from Trident Microsystems. (Source: 7th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards)
- Top twenty for U.S. deals completed as counsel to principals in 2011. (Source: Thomson Reuters Mid-Market M&A Legal Review 2011)
We have handled cross-border deals across 25 different jurisdictions, including:
- South Africa
- United Kingdom