Nik Patel is a partner in the Cooley Business department and is a member of the Firm's Clean Energy and Technologies group. He joined the Firm in 2010 and is resident in the Washington, DC office.
Mr. Patel's practice focuses on project development and finance, renewable energy policy, carbon management and clean energy technology. Acting primarily for developers, Mr. Patel has developed and financed numerous renewable energy (including wind, solar, biomass, landfill gas, biofuels, geothermal and hydro) and conventional energy projects. Mr. Patel also provides counsel to clients in developing efficiency and renewable energy transmission solutions.
Mr. Patel has structured and negotiated financing agreements, joint ventures/acquisitions of energy projects, and the suite of financeable development documents, such as energy purchase and sales agreements, renewable energy credit (REC) purchase and sales agreements, transmission and interconnection agreements, equipment procurement and balance-of-plant (BOP) contracts, PILOT and similar alternative tax structures and land acquisition agreements. In addition, Mr. Patel has assisted clients in the development and financing of large infrastructure projects in the power, oil and gas, liquefied natural gas (LNG), petrochemicals, hotel and transportation industries.
Representative experience include:
- Lead counsel in the development of a 16 MW utility scale solar project in New York
- Lead counsel in the sale of a wind development portfolio company with development assets in excess of 1800 MW
- Lead counsel in the development, financing and sale of (at its time) the largest utility scale solar project on the East Coast
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of a biogas development company with projects in the US and Canada
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of a 1,200 mile renewable energy transmission corridor in the Midwest US
Mr. Patel was recognized by Chambers USA as "Up and Coming" in Nationwide Projects: Renewables and Alternative Energy in 2012.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Patel was a partner in the Energy, Infrastructure Climate and Technology group at Alston + Bird LLP and a partner in the Global Projects group at Baker Botts LLP.
Mr. Patel received his BS, magna cum laude, in accounting and finance, from Florida State University in 1993 and his JD, cum laude, from Georgetown University Law Center in 1996. Mr. Patel serves as adjunct professor of project finance and renewable energy at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University. He lectures widely on topics relevant to the renewable energy industry.
- Georgetown University Law Center
JD, 1996, cum laude
- Florida State University
BS Accounting and Finance, 1993, magna cum laude