Cooley's Patent Counseling & Prosecution practice provides sophisticated patent services to technology clients in a wide range of industries. Our team assists companies in many different technology fields to strategically acquire and protect patent rights in the United States and in foreign countries. For details about the specific technologies with which we have experience, please explore our strength in any of the following technology fields:
- Over 50 patent professionals in Washington DC, Reston, Boston, San Francisco, Palo Alto, New York, Seattle, San Diego and Broomfield, CO
- Full patent support unit headquartered in DC, including docketing, file support and international filing staff (over 25 staff members)
- Electronic filing staff, including over 30 trained patent secretaries on both coasts
- Extensive international patent filing network
- Full paralegal support facilities (20+ paralegals with IP experience)
- Prior art and patent diligence search services (10 registered patent agents)
- Full sequence management capacity, including database access, sequence management and sequence listing generation
- Close relationship with U.S. Patent Office personnel, including Group 1600 and Board of Appeals and Interferences
We help clients formulate and implement effective intellectual property (IP) development and protection strategies. The group's services include conducting patentability analyses, developing plans for building economically efficient patent portfolios, preparing patent applications, and corresponding with patent offices of various jurisdictions around the world to ensure global patent rights.
The group also assists companies to avoid infringement of third party patent and intellectual property rights. Such services include performing third party patent searches, analyzing third party patent and intellectual property rights, maintaining periodic patent watches on third party competitors and preparing non-infringement and invalidity opinions.
We also oversee their interests in a variety of business transactions and educating them on the overlapping and complementary relationships between patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. When necessary, we work closely with attorneys in other groups within the Firm to provide legal advice regarding patents and patent portfolios, including for example:
- the Mergers and Acquisitions group and Venture Capital group to assist in corporate transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, and capital investments in target companies;
- the Technology Transactions group to assist with in-bound and out-bound licenses or sales of patent and intellectual property rights; and
- the Intellectual Property Litigation group to develop and execute patent enforcement strategies for clients seeking to enforce their patent rights or who are accused of violating the patent rights of others.