Our Venture Capital Fund Formation group is the #1 national leader in venture fund formation and representation. Our involvement as counselors to venture fund managers dates from the early beginnings of the U.S. venture industry in the late 1950's, and we currently form more venture funds annually in the U.S. than any other law firm. In 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013, we were ranked by Chambers as the #1 law firm nationally for venture fund formation. With more than 35 specialist fund formation lawyers dedicated to serving our venture fund clients, the group forms a cornerstone of Cooley's Private Investment Funds group, which assists venture capital and private equity fund managers worldwide from our offices in Boston, New York, Washington D.C., Colorado, Seattle, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Los Angeles, San Diego and Shanghai.
We serve as primary fund counsel to more than 230 investment fund organizations and represent venture funds or corporate investors in more than 400 private financings each year. Since our inception we have formed thousands of venture funds, and we currently organize, on average, more than 60 new venture funds annually. Our representation includes managers specializing in all investment phases from angel to late stage, and in investment areas from Internet, social media and mobile, to clean technology, healthcare and biotechnology and more traditional industries. Our clients include funds as small as $5 million as well as funds of $1 billion or more. We represent a considerable number of emerging managers, while at the same time we have represented some of our larger venture fund clients for more than 40 years. Our immersion in the venture space permits us to remain expert at current market conditions, including terms and participants, to a degree not possible without deep and constant interaction. All of this brings a depth of experience in the lifecycle of venture fund representation that our clients regularly tell us is extremely valuable to them, and that they have not found elsewhere.
In addition to our dedicated team of more than 35 specialist fund formation lawyers, hundreds of additional lawyers assist our venture fund clients in their investment activities, and by providing specialized services in the areas of taxation, intellectual property, employment law, estate planning, litigation and other related practices that we believe are integral to the successful operation of a venture firm. We represent a large enough quantity of venture fund managers that we are able to provide specialized services in these areas from practitioners who are not just generalists in their areas of expertise, but highly trained in the unique and particular needs of venture fund managers. We believe this brings not only an efficiency but a superior quality of representation for our venture fund clients, as they can expect a degree of collaboration and a depth of venture-specific knowledge across practitioners of multiple disciplines which is simply not possible on a platform lacking our scale.
- Primary fund counsel to more than 230 investment fund organizations
- Consistently ranked #1 in the country for the number of venture funds formed, organizing on average more than 60 venture funds annually
- More than 35 specialist fund formation lawyers, with hundreds more assisting venture fund clients in related areas such as investment activities, taxation, estate planning, litigation and intellectual property
- Specialized in helping managers at all stages and sizes
- Represent managers in investment areas from Internet, social media and mobile, to clean technology, healthcare and biotechnology and more traditional industries
- More than 50 years of experience helping venture fund clients
- Practice from our offices in Boston, New York, Washington D.C., Colorado, Seattle, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Los Angeles, San Diego and Shanghai
Chambers USA 2010/2011/2012/2013: #1 Venture Capital Law Firm Nationally