Matthew T. Browne is a partner in the Cooley Business department. He joined the Firm in 1999 and is resident in the San Diego office.
Mr. Browne's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, structured investments, drug royalty transactions, and other complex transactions. In the drug royalty area, Mr. Browne has advised clients on numerous drug royalty transactions involving many different transaction structures and with aggregate proceeds in excess of $2 billion. Mr. Browne also regularly advises issuers and investors on public and private securities offerings, and serves as day-to-day outside counsel for a number of public and private companies, regularly advising them on public company reporting and disclosure issues, corporate governance matters, and commercial matters. Mr. Browne's clients include companies in the software, hardware, telecommunications, information technology, semiconductor, clean tech, medical device, biotechnology, Internet, health services and retail spaces, and Mr. Browne also regularly represents a number of investment funds in connection with their investments and other transactions.
Mr. Browne is a member of the Firm's Opinion Committee and Partnership Nominating Committee.
The Firm's San Diego office was recently named the #1 firm in San Diego as ranked by area corporate board members, according to Corporate Board Member magazine.
Mr. Browne's recent representative engagements include:
- Representing Verenium Corporation in the sale of its oilseed processing business and related license of enzymes to DSM Food Specialties
- Representing Nixon's management team in connection with the formation of a new Nixon joint venture among Nixon's management team, Billabong and Trilantic Capital Partners
- Representing JMI Equity in the sale of its portfolio company, TC3 Health
- Representing Silverstream Capital in connection with a strategic investor's investment in and related recapitalization of Silverstream's portfolio company, HealthyCircles
- Representing Continuous Computing in its sale to Radisys
- Representing TPG-Axon Capital Management in its sales of multiple drug royalties to multiple purchasers
- Representing TPG in connection with a structured investment in various clinical development programs of a large pharmaceutical company
Prior to joining Cooley, Mr. Browne was an associate at Cravath, Swaine and Moore in New York.
Mr. Browne received a JD, cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1995. He received a BA, summa cum laude, with distinction in two majors, Economics and Political Science, from Yale University in 1990, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Browne is admitted to practice in California and New York.
- Harvard Law School
JD, 1995, cum laude
- Yale University
BA with distinction in two majors, Economics and Political Science, 1990, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association