Cooley's Privacy and Data Security practice group consists of tech-smart lawyers with depth of experience in privacy and data security counseling and litigation bolstered by substantial knowledge of all aspects of e-commerce, online, mobile, and health technologies. Cooley's privacy lawyers have represented clients ranging from small, cutting-edge start-ups to such well-known global companies as Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, Zynga, Sony, and HTC. The innovations developed by our clients often raise novel legal issues in the area of data protection. Cooley lawyers have stood on the forefront of counseling and litigating many of the ground-breaking matters and cases influencing and determining these issues that have significantly shaped the legal landscape for modern commerce.
'Smart and effective in their briefing and arguments, and they know how to take off the gloves and litigate.'
The Legal 500 (2013)
- 40+ attorneys specializing in counseling, regulatory, and litigation representation involving online and mobile privacy, e-commerce, health data, and cybersecurity
- Recently led more than 50 class actions around the country dealing with data security, privacy, rights of publicity, virtual goods, payments, online commerce, Internet taxation, post-transactional marketing, loyalty programs, and app development ecosystems, often involving collateral regulatory engagement with the FTC and state Attorneys General
- Established leaders in the privacy and security field, including former in-house privacy counsel at Fortune 500 companies, former chairs of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, the American Bar Association eHealth, Privacy & Security Interest Group and current chair on the ABA Web & Technology Committee, a former assistant director of Federal Trade Commission, a former district attorney, and a consulting member and an advisor to the American Law Institute's Restatement of the Law Third Information Privacy Principles
- Frequently quoted and regular speakers and contributors to numerous publications as lawyers with expertise on the subject of privacy and data security
- Ranked nationally by Legal 500, recognized by Law360 as a 2011 Practice Group of the Year in Privacy and Consumer Protection, The Daily Journal as one of five "fresh and interesting practices" in 2011