Miguel J. Vega is a partner in the Cooley Business department and Head of the Business & Finance Practice Group in the Firm's Boston office. He joined the Firm in 2007.
Mr. Vega's practice focuses on the representation of companies at all stages of development, from start-ups to public companies, and their sources of capital. With expertise in corporate and securities law, he represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and venture financings, in addition to advising clients on SEC compliance, corporate governance, technology transfers and licensing, and strategic partnerships. Mr. Vega also represents venture capital firms in their investments in early and later stage operating companies, and has represented such firms in their formation and fundraising efforts, as well as in complex leveraged transactions and restructurings.
Mr. Vega is a frequent speaker at various industry and venture capital programs. Most recently, he presented at a seminar on SEC Reforms of Executive Compensation Disclosure. He has also presented at programs on Understanding the Role of Audit Committees (MCLE) and Practical Guide to Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance (MCLE).
Representative Client Work:
- More than 25 public offerings of equity and/or debt, on both the company and underwriter side
- In excess of 100 venture capital financings and 100 M&A transactions
- Represented a public company in a sale to a multinational buyer in a dual track cash tender offer and one-step cash merger for $1.3 billion in cash plus contingent value rights with a face value of $275 million
- Represented a public company in the $240 million acquisition of a competitor owned by private equity investors
- Represented a Canadian software company in a sale to a multinational corporation for $310 million
- Represented a venture-backed company in its sale to a public company for $430 million
- Represented a S&P 500 company in a 144A offering of $850 million of zero coupon bonds
- Represented a multinational corporation in a tender offer for all of the outstanding securities of a NYSE corporation
Mr. Vega has been recognized in Massachusetts Super Lawyers each year since 2005. He has also been recognized as one of the leading corporate lawyers in the United States by the peer review and legal directory, The Best Lawyers in America, 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions.
Mr. Vega received his law degree from New York University School of Law. He received his BS, cum laude, from Boston College.
- New York University School of Law
- Boston College
BS, 1990, cum laude
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association