John Paul Oleksiuk is an associate in the Litigation department and a member of the Trademark, Copyright & Advertising practice group. He joined the Firm in 2011 and is resident in the Los Angeles and San Diego offices.
Mr. Oleksiuk litigates cases in federal courts, before the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and in arbitration. He also handles international dispute matters by coordinating with a network of foreign counsel. Mr. Oleksiuk manages global trademark and copyright portfolios, advises in trademark clearance, prosecutes trademark applications, counsels clients regarding Internet and domain name issues, and provides intellectual property expertise in support of mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financings, and capital markets transactions. As a registered patent attorney, he also litigated patent matters relating to software and prosecuted patents prior to joining Cooley.
Mr. Oleksiuk is an active member of the International Trademark Association (INTA), and he is serving on INTA's Parallel Imports Committee for the 2016-2017 term. Mr. Oleksiuk was selected as a Super Lawyers® "Rising Star" and top-rated intellectual property attorney in 2015 and 2016.
Mr. Oleksiuk received his law degree in 2008 from the University of Notre Dame, cum laude, where he served on the executive board of the Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy and as a research assistant for trademark law professor Mark P. McKenna. He earned a BS degree in Information Science, summa cum laude, as well as a BA degree in Music, summa cum laude, from the University of Pittsburgh.
Selected Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Panelist, "Protecting Intellectual Property." Pepperdine Journal of Business, Entrepreneurship and the Law Symposium, Los Angeles, March 2016.
- Moderator, "Private Trademark Decisions: Online Service Providers Acting as Arbiters." International Trademark Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, May 2015.
- Co-presenter, "Making Your Name on the Global Stage: How to Build and Protect Strong Trademarks Worldwide." Cooley China High-Growth Companies Workshop, Shanghai and Beijing, May 2014.
- Panelist, "Legal for Startups: Building Value While Mitigating Risk." Silicon Beach Fest, Los Angeles, June 2013.
- Co-Author, 2010 Trademark Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit, 60 Am. U. L. Rev. 1159 (2011).
- Notre Dame Law School
JD, 2008, cum laude
- University of Pittsburgh
BS, 2005, summa cum laude
- University of Pittsburgh
BA, 2005, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office